Simon is an experienced criminal litigator specialising in serious fraud, financial crime and regulatory investigations. He helps individuals and companies during complex investigations and proceedings conducted by law enforcement authorities including the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), National Crime Agency (NCA), HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), the police and others.
His practice embraces advice during investigations, interviews conducted under caution, or compulsion, pre-litigation and trial. He has more than 20 years’ experience in a wide range of criminal law cases, particularly tax fraud, money laundering, confiscation and asset recovery, criminal cartels, breach of export controls and broader criminal matters at all levels. His regulatory practice includes advising in the course disciplinary investigations by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and civil investigations by the CMA.
Simon is often instructed by a range of overseas clients, in particular from the EU, Russia and Ukraine, advising on various aspects of domestic criminal law, including confiscation and enforcement of external orders, seizure and forfeiture, mutual legal assistance and where a criminal investigation by UK law enforcement either is engaged.
As a former founding member and the managing partner of City law firm, Morgan Rose, he has 14 years of experience in firm and people management.
Simon is regularly approached to act in cases where there is a likelihood of severe reputational damage arising from a criminal charge. He has an excellent track record of defending allegations of wrongdoing at the investigation stage, preventing criminal charges being brought against clients and protecting their reputations.
Simon is also a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE).
Clients value his honesty, direct approach and tenacity in vigorously defending their best interest at every stage of the case.
- Advising in a protracted HMRC investigation into alleged serious VAT fraud by group of a multinational company
- Advising on enforcement of Russian external orders in the UK
- Acting for Italian haulage company in UK forfeiture proceedings
- Advising a company in the course of an investigation into breach of strategic export controls
- Acting in the course of a civil investigation by the CMA into serious cartel activity
- Advising in the course of an internal investigation and thereafter disciplinary investigation by the SRA
- Advised in connection with the Perepilichnyy inquest
- Acted in the Little Wing Films tax evasion prosecution