Gary has extensive experience in defending allegations of complex and high value fraud and financial crime.
He specialises in defending investigations and prosecutions brought by the Serious Fraud office (SFO), HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and the National Crime Agency (NCA). He regularly represents company directors, solicitors, accountants and other professionals facing such proceedings. Gary has represented clients based outside of the jurisdiction threatened with extradition to the UK and also clients based in the UK who are threatened by parallel investigations in competing agencies such as the US Department of Justice (DoJ).
Gary has a national reputation as a leader in the new and evolving field of cyber and online crime. He has extensive experience in the full spectrum of computer crime. Gary regularly acts in prosecutions arising from investigations of activity on dark net marketplaces and criminality arising from websites hosted on the TOR network, attacks on multinational corporations by organised hacking collectives such as “Lizard Squad,” and data breaches leading to leaks of confidential information from companies by current and former employees.
He has represented individuals accused of creating and selling “hacking tools” online, and business owners accused of carrying out DOS/DDOS attacks against the websites of competitors and rivals. He has also represented individuals accused of money laundering offences as a result of allegedly operating criminal websites.
Gary has significant experience in the niche related fields of data and intellectual property crime, arising from file sharing and video streaming. He has also acted in Trading Standards investigations into the alleged manipulation and misuse of Google “pay per click” advertising terms.
- Represented the lead defendant in an SFO prosecution arising from the alleged manipulation of the London Interbank Offered (LIBOR) benchmark interest rate. This matter was said to be the one of the largest and most complex cases prosecuted by the SFO
- Represented a Brazilian national subject to a property Freezing Order and Disclosure Order in the UK
- Represented a company director under investigation for fraudulently evading the import duties owed to the EU on solar panels imported to the UK from China
- Operation Energy: represented a former senior employee of Rolls Royce in the SFO investigation into allegations of corruption overseas
- Operation Remzacco: represented the finance director of a major UK engineering company in relation to a City of London Police investigation into alleged corrupt payments to secure contracts
- Operation Cactus Hent: This matter was the successful defence of a substantial HMRC prosecution of one of nine defendants involved in a self-invested personal pension (SIPP) scheme
- Operation Natals: Represented one of five individuals charged in Operation Natals, the leading case prosecuted in England and Wales involving the use of “dark net” marketplaces
- Acted for the only individual prosecuted following the high profile hack of the “Mumsnet” website. Despite the sophistication of the offence, we secured the client a non-custodial sentence
- Successfully acted for an individual investigated by the National Crime Agency in respect of allegations that he was the mastermind of the dark web “hitman for hire” website, “Besa Mafia.” No charges were brought
- Successfully acted for two individuals arrested in respect of allegations that they had hacked the CCTV system of Washington DC prior to the inauguration of President Trump