Simon is an experienced criminal litigator specialising in serious fraud, financial crime and regulatory investigations. He helps individuals and companies navigate complex criminal and regulatory investigations or proceedings conducted by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), National Crime Agency (NCA), HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), police and others.
He has over 25 years’ experience of defending criminal charges, particularly serious fraud and proceeds of crime, successfully representing clients in a number of prosecutions brought by the SFO. He regularly advises in relation to criminal and civil asset confiscation and forfeiture. He also represents clients in regulatory investigations undertaken by the SRA, proceedings in the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal and civil investigations by the CMA.
Often instructed by a range of overseas clients, advising on aspects of domestic and international law, Simon is regularly approached to act in cases where there is a likelihood of severe reputational damage arising from a criminal charge. He has an excellent track record of stopping allegations of wrongdoing at the investigation stage, preventing criminal charges being brought against clients and protecting their reputations.
Simon was a co-founding member and for 14 years, the managing partner of the boutique Chancery Lane law firm, Morgan Rose and is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE).
Clients value his honesty, direct approach and tenacity in vigorously defending their best interests at every stage of the case.
• Acting for a client in connection with a serious fraud and money laundering investigation undertaken by India’s Department of Revenue, Directorate of Enforcement.
• Advising in a protracted HMRC investigation into serious tax fraud by a multinational company.
• Acting for a client under investigation for breach of money laundering regulations.
• Successfully defended a former partner of Mishcon De Reya in high profile proceedings brought by the SRA in the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal for breach of the ‘banking facility rule’.
• Acting for a partner of an international commercial firm under investigation by the SRA.
Specialist Areas of Practice: Financial Crime, Serious Fraud and Extradition
For initial consultation please call us to make an appointment on 0333 202 6445, or if you prefer contact us online